Monday, June 21, 2010

Time with nature

A very important component of my ideal lifestyle is my time with nature.  I love the beach, and I live by a lake in the mountains.  When life gets hairy, you'll find me lacing up my sneakers for a walk or a hike.  I'm pretty sure I've logged THOUSANDS of miles walking around Erskine Lake! 

Nature is spectacular.  From the views on top of my mountain trails, to the Botanical Gardens, Ringwood is nature at its finest.  I'm always finding new plants to add to my garden, trading perennials with friends and neighbors, I still have black eyed Susan flowers from Dorothy Bryan's rock gardens!  I'm pretty sure she's happy to be remembered by her gardens.  I'm a firm believer in the good karma sharing your garden brings!  Take a look at my latest deck renovation, what a fabulous way to enjoy nature in your own backyard.

As a seating arrangement:



To just flop and enjoy the sun and my yard:


Those of you that know me and my beach bum soul can understand what a great place this is to lounge out with a great book, some suntan lotion and a huge bottle of water!  Come join me!

This brings me to The Ocean.  There are no words to describe the peace that the ocean brings to my soul.  Winter, spring, summer and fall, the rhythm of the waves and the sparkle of the sand continues to mesmerize me.  While table salt is being banned from our diets, sea salt is encouraged.  The health and healing properties of sea salt are numerous.  Weren't we all told as kids to go into the ocean to sooth our mosquito bites, minor cuts and scrapes? 

I can't talk about the ocean this week and not mention the catastrophe in the Gulf of Mexico.  I don't know how we're going to do it, but we really need to find a way to live with less oil consumption.  Off topic, but it's on my mind daily and my thoughts and intentions are always with those directly involved.

I've gone on and on about the wonders of nature in my own life, here's why I think this is so important.  I believe that the modern disconnection from nature has a detrimental effect on our own health, and on the planet.  I love a great night in NYC as well, so I get that its not all about the flowers and the trees, but I think its important for us all to find a better balance.  The definition of nature can be different for us all, some may think of nature as untouched wilderness, does that include your potted plant in your urban apartments?  Pets and insects? Or only wild animals?  Really, the answer will be different for each of us. 

It's so important that we remember that staying healthy is not just a physical endeavour.  Our body will be healthier if we remember to pamper our mind and soul as well!

Check out these sites when you have some time.

http://my-garden-world.com/?p=242

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/natural-settings-help-brain-fatigue/

http://www.healthywomen.org/content/article/back-nature-take-your-workout-outdoors?context=ages-and-stages/14&context_title=&context_description=


http://www.prevention.com/health/health/healthy-living/fresh-air-can-help-your-brain/article/3bf9b3eb1f463110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/

http://njbg.org/

My own prescription for health is less paperwork and more running barefoot through the grass. ~Terri Guillemets

Live as if time is infinite!

No comments: