Thursday, June 10, 2010

The beginning!

Live as if time is infinite!

I've been spending a lot of time lately making transformations in my life.  I'm 49 years old, maybe it's that big birthday ahead of me that's motivating me?  If so, it's unconscious!

I feel like there are so many other people in situations similar to mine.  I'm in my fourties, I have spent time raising my kids, working assorted jobs, keeping the roof over our heads!  I was married, I was divorced.  I've been in other long term relationships.  I've taken so many classes and training sessions. I should have my PhD!  Instead, I never even finished up my bachelors degree.  Life was SO busy, there's an email chain that describes my life perfectly, I'll have to dig it up and insert it here.

Now my kids are grown/growing up and I have some more free time on my hands than I've had before.  It's so easy to get into the should/woulda/coulda frame of mind, but I will NOT.  I hear all over the place, "live each day as if it is your last", but I disagree.  I know that it's not meant to be discouraging, to me it's a downer.  Live each day as if time is infinite! I heard that phrase recently, and it changed my life. What if instead of thinking it was too late to do something, I lived as if I had all the time in the world?  Think about it! How many people do you know that think they're too old to do something?  How about not healthy enough?  Not "as young as they used to be"?  Then there's "People my age don't do that".  WHY??  I could so easily sit on my couch, get fat, eat ice cream, and say "well I'm pushing 50, who cares".  Trust me, I could.  I won't.  I WON'T!  And you shouldn't either.  

So what am I doing?
  • I'm going to focus all of those classes I took, and finish up my degree.  Yes, I'm going back to college at age 49. 
  • I'm spending more time meditating.  It's something I've always done, on and off, but never really comitted to.  I'm amazed at the difference it's making in my life!  I'm calmer all day long, and so much more focused.  Amazing.  Try it!
  • I'm "cutting cords".  I'm taking back my maiden name, among other things, and it feels so great! 
  • I'm really focusing on my relationship with my kids.  It's so easy to just parent by instinct, and I guess I'm still doing that to some degree.  I'm trying to really focus and help them focus on whats best for them, individually.  It's time to enjoy them more!
  • I'm improving my enviornment.  I'm decluttering, rearranging, decorating, organizing, making everything pretty!  I'm doing this in my home, in my office, and in my car!  It feels great.
  • I'm staying fit.  This isn't really something new to me, but now that I have time to exercise more, I'm loving it!  Lots of spin classes and Pilates sessions for me.
  • I'm honoring myself.  All day long.  I try to remember to ask myself if what I'm doing is honoring myself.  I've changed my mind on what I was planning to do/eat/wear/say many times.  For example:  Sitting on the couch bundled up under blankets on a rainy day watching a movie is honoring myself, sitting on the couch every night after dinner watching TV is not.  For me.
  • I'm going to journal my days.  I started this blog to have a place to share all of the mountains of research I'm doing!  I hope to accumulate info from my journals and share the details as blogs.
  • Oh and I have a full time job and a part time consulting business!
The craziest thing about all of this?  I have MORE time than I ever had before, even with a list like this!  I'm so amazed at how simpler life is when I stop obsessing over everything.  When I focus on what's best for ME.

SO.  Thats quite a lot for today!  I'm hoping to find 5 natural categories, and each day blog about that category.  This is a work in progress, but I have to start somewhere, so here goes!

Live as if time is infinite!

No comments: